I follow and admire @chrisbrogan as a no-nonsense, direct and reliable person to learn more about how to network and be social in the digital world.
Every year, Chris publishes his 3 words for the year and every year, I also publish mine. In 2016, Chris chose: Home; Shine; Win. To learn more about why and see a list of Chris’ words by year, visit his site here
As for my words, my favorite words from the past are “filter, focus, fun” which started the whole with the same first letter thang. Here’s what I finally decided are my 3 words for 2016:
1. BOOK because it can mean so many different things – all fairly relevant to my business and my life:
- stands for my book: Getting Email Done (nee DAFT Your Way To Organized!) – which contains the organizational process I figured out after flunking as a GTDer
- means my attempts to get booked to speak at as many places as possible in 2016 which do not require air travel from NYC. I know how much law office managers and attorneys need to speak with me because I speak with them one-on-one all the time. What we all need is for me to be more efficient and effective with my time by speaking with as many as I can at once – and that means getting booked to speak at local bar associations and the like. Happy to report, I am set to be in Washington DC in March and am considering a meet up in Chicago as well.
- relates to how much I book to get and stay abreast of all the things that those who work at law offices need to know without sacrificing service or the commitment I have to my personal clients, those who trust their work to LegalTypist and those who follow me.
2. BELIEVE – As illustrated in my tweet below, I had selected another word but my kids informed me it was a commonly known word for those who imbibe a somewhat illegal substance, so I switched it to the word BELIEVE – which Chris actually put in my head with this tweet:
Believe is such a hard word to fully feel and grasp. On any given day, things happen outside of your control, sometimes things which knock at the very foundation of your world. This is when you have to hunker down, dig in those heels and stubbornly refuse to do anything other than 100% believe in yourself. You owe yourself nothing less! <-yes, I will be reading this to myself often!
3. BULLSHIT this was the hardest one for me. I had tried to think of a different word that would motivate me as much as this one… and after close to 3 weeks thunking on it, I realized I simply had to curse and I simply had to be the one to do it often. Bullshit stands for all the things I see going on in my world which really needs to have someone call it – but given I work in law, with lawyers, and stodgy organizations like the ABA – no one ever says a peep. Not any longer! I am here and will be routinely calling “Bullshit!” on the companies and technologies being passed off to lawyers as functional, affordable, even necessary <-but not really.
Now, my intent is to do a blog post every week paying homage to my 3 words and to pick one thing to highlight for each. I haven’t done a blog post a week in a very long time – hope I don’t freak Google and all of you out by publishing fresh content so often!